We all have bought that one giant machine out of love because of how heavy duty it was, but forgot that from time to time we might have to move it around.
Dragging your heavy machines across the room can leave scratches on the surface and on the tool. Not to mention, your back might just give out pushing a 500 lb pound tool.
To move big machines like a band saw or table saw easily and create space around the workplace, you need a sturdy and durable mobile base.
With the Best Mobile Base for Table Saw and Band Saw, you can wheel your machine and put it anywhere around the place.
If you are interested to know more, you can go through our pick of the 5 best mobile bases.
5 Best Mobile Base For Table Saw And Band Saw
1. Adjustable Mobile Base HTC2000 for Power Tools
For starters, your mobile base for a table saw or a band saw has to be sturdy. It has to be strong enough to carry a lot of weight and also be movable when needed.
If that’s all it takes then the HTC-2000 mobile base offers you the perfect combination of sturdiness and mobility. This amazing base weighs only about 2 pounds but can carry weights of up to 500 pounds.
Despite being very lightweight, this base is built to last. The industrial-grade material and construction of the whole base only add more to its durability factor. Whether you want to put down your woodworking tools or masonry equipment, as long as it is under 500 pounds you have nothing to fear.
Thanks to its adjust ability you can carry equipment of both square and rectangle sizes. The frame can be extended to meet 3 different sizes measuring 12 by 12 inches, 36 by 36 inches, and 20 by 52 inches.
Now let’s say you have your heavy piece of equipment on top of the base and now you want to move it to another room. The 3-inch durable rubber wheel has got your back. There are 4 wheels altogether and the 2 rear wheels have plastic foot operating levers to easily lock and unlock them.
Once you have locked the lever the base sticks to the place and stays put. The lever, however, is made out of plastic. Too much pressure can even break it.
Other than that, the HTC-2000 is an ideal mobile base for your heavy-duty power tools
What We Liked
- Lockable wheel offers perfect stability
- Sturdy steel side rails with powder accent
- 3-inch rubber wheels offer amazing mobility
- Offers an additional rail kit (2×12-inches and 2×18-inches)
What We Didn’t Like
- Plastic foot operating levers are a bit fragile
- Very lightweight and Weighs only 2 lbs
- Industrial grade construction offers sturdiness
- 500 lb weight capacity
- 3 different adjustable sizes which are 12 by 12 inches, 36 by 36 inches, and 20 by 52 inches (rectangle)
- 2 caster wheels
- Foot operating lever for locking and unlocking the wheels
- One inch spaced pre-drilled holes
2. BORA Portamate Fully Adjustable Mobile Base
Whether you are working in a small space or a large one, sometimes you need to move around your tools to make some space for a new project. Well, you are definitely going to need an extra hand to help you out.
So, how about something that can carry up to 650 pounds? Yes, that’s right the Portamate 2500 is easily capable of lifting up to 650 pounds and yet glide through your working space.
This base is rugged, versatile, and very easy to move thanks to its heavy-duty 3-inch caster wheels. Once you have moved this universal base to your desired place, just flip up the quick release steel locking mechanism and the Portamate base will stand still and be ready to work on.
The base is fairly easy to assemble and can be adjusted to accommodate different sized equipment. The sizes can be adjusted to 12 by 12 inches, 36 by 36 inches, and 20 by 52 inches.
These sizes fit almost any band saw, table saw, planer or jointer, and any other heavy-duty power tool that weighs below 650 pounds.
The base has industrial paint on it but can chip and cause the base to rust if left outside for long periods and the base itself is a bit heavier than other similar products but that only gives it a sturdier look.
You wouldn’t have to worry about how you are going to rearrange your working space with all those heavy equipment lying around once you have a Portamate 2500 at your disposal. Just flip over the lock and you are ready to go.
What We Liked
- More than capable of carrying heavy-duty saws
- Foot operating levers are very durable
- Only raises the machine 1 off the ground
- Adjusting the leveling feet allows working on uneven ground
What We Didn’t Like
- Paint may chip off and cause rust if left outside for long.
- Adjustable to 12 by 12 inches, 36 by 36 inches, and 20 by 52 inches.
- Can carry weights up to 650 lbs
- 3-inch non-marring ball bearing wheels provide smooth mobility
- Foot operating steel locks allow easy locking and unlocking
- Bolt holes spaced at every 1-inch gap for a better fit of equipment
- The height of the base is 4.5″
- Has 2 caster wheels
3. DEWALT Planer Stand And Mobile Base
If you are into woodworking, chances are you have a planner lying around somewhere in your workspace. Wouldn’t it be great if you could put your planner on a sturdy stand that also can be easily moved around to free up space?
Well, for that exact reason you can rely on the Dewalt DW7350 mobile base. This perfect planner base can be used as a planner stand or even a planner storage.
Just by taking one good look, you can tell it is built from premium grade and sturdy materials. The planner itself is a bit heavy but once you have put the locks on, it stands perfectly still and any vibration of the planner won’t affect the stand.
The stand is pretty easy to assemble although the instructions are a bit vague. The process however is pretty simple. All you will need is a socket wrench and a 13-millimeter wrench. And you are good to go!
While assembling the stand you will see it has only 3 wheels. Now you might think with 3 wheels it might be a bit clunky to move around but it is actually very smooth and easy to move around.
While we are on the topic of the wheel. There is only 1 lock in 1 wheel which can only be flipped using your hands when it is mounted inwards and when mounted outwards it causes a tripping hazard.
Other than that, this definitely is one of the best planner stands currently available.
What We Liked
- Base is very robust and steady
- A very appealing design
- Only needs a few tools to assemble
- Very easy to move around
What We Didn’t Like
- Inward lock can only be flipped using hands
- Mounting the lock outside can cause a tripping hazard
- Is only used for planners
- Includes mobile base, stand, hardware, MDF top, and metal shelf
- The stand itself weighs about 60 pounds
- Weight limit of the base is 220 lb
- Can be used as a planner storage and a stand
- Comes in multiple sizes (24-by-22-by-30-inches)
- The height of the stand is approximately 29″
- Has 1 caster wheel.
4. Shop Fox D4666 Mobile Base Review
Time to push it to the extreme levels. There are some industrial band saws that weigh close to 1000 pounds. Normally they are put in a fixed corner of the room so they don’t get in the way but what happens when you have to rearrange the room or even move some equipment to make space or another project?
Well, when it comes to carrying heavyweight you can certainly count on the Shop Fox D4666. With its capacity to carry a whopping 1200 pounds, you can easily carry and move large and heavy band saws and other power tools.
The one word that can describe this 37-pound industrial mobile base is that it is sturdy. The base is made out of metal and it can also be adjustable to fit in different shapes which include 19 by 21 inches and 29.5 by 29.5 inches. Some other bases comparatively provide more size options for versatility.
The base is very easy to assemble. You will be needing a 13-millimetre wrench, 13-millimetre socket, and an impact wrench and about 20 to 30 minutes to assemble the whole thing.
There is only one lock in one caster wheel. The ball bearing caster wheels, however, are very smooth and the whole base is very easy to maneuver. Coming in at a mid-range price this heavy-duty mobile base is definitely a bang for the buck!
What We Liked
- Rubber leveling feet offers a steady grip
- Specialized for carrying industry-standard tools
- Made of heavy-duty metal
- Toe flip lever is very simple to control
What We Didn’t Like
- Only has 1 lock in the wheels
- Comparatively limited adjustable size
- The base itself weighs about 37 pounds
- Can carry weights up to 1200 lb
- Base size ranges from 19″ x 21″ to 29-1/2″ x 29-1/2″
- 2 caster wheels and 2 fixed wheels
- Industrial-grade ball bearing caster wheel made of steel
- Has adjustable bolts to fix the rail ends
- Clearance from floor: 2-3/16″
5. Bora Portamate Rolling Mobile Base Review
The final product of our list is the most heavy-duty base out of the bunch and that is the Portamate PM-3500.
Heavy-duty machines like band saws, table saws, jointers, or planners are often put in a fixed place. It is because it’s a hassle to move around such large and heavy pieces of equipment. By heavy we mean some of these industrial graded tools can weigh up to 1000 pounds.
But what if there was an easy way to even lift that much weight?
The PM-3500 is the mobile base you need to put all your worries to ease. This beast of a machine can way up to 1500 pounds. The box cut sturdy figure definitely defines its standards of durability.
The tubular metals holding the base are extra-thick and the whole base is very easy to assemble. The instruction and process of assembly are also well defined.
The 3-inch ball bearing caster wheels help you slide your tools over in a jiffy. The 2 wheels have metal locks on which make it extra durable. As for the stability, the metal foot pegs along with rubber paddings keep your base and tools steady as a rock.
The base can’t be pushed over bumps but other than that the PM-3500 is worth every penny when it comes to moving super heavy machines.
What We Liked
- Ball-bearing wheels provide smooth movement
- Very easy to adjust despite being bulky
- The whole base can be rotated 360 degrees
- Metal foot peg with rubber pads allows staying still solid like a rock
What We Didn’t Like
- Does not move well in places with cracks
- This highly sturdy base weighs around 40 pounds
- Can carry up to an impressive weight of 1500 lb
- 3-inch diameter caster wheels
- Has 2 caster wheels and 2 solid wheels
- 2-foot operating lever lock system
- Build form industrial-grade steel
- Frame can be adjusted by 1-inch increment
- The adjustability can range from 20. 75 by 23. 75 inches to 28 by 33. 5 inches
Mobile bases are extremely necessary for moving heavy pieces of machinery around. The designs of mobile bases are pretty simple. Most of them have that rugged look But the right base will offer superior weight capacity and durability.
To help you out we have listed some buying factors you must know to get the Best Mobile Base for Table Saw and Band Saw-
The first reason for getting a mobile base is so you can move around your heavy equipment. That is why you have to first decide how much weight you are willing to put on the base.
Bases can carry anywhere from 200 pounds to over a thousand pounds.
The Construction Material
In order to carry that immense weight, you would need something extremely capable. The strongest bases are mostly constructed from industrial graded iron and steel.
Wheels help your base be properly maneuverable. Aside from making the base move. They also support the weight of the base and the machine on top of it. The non-marring, ball bearing wheels are the best in class.
They provide excellent maneuverability and last for years without getting damaged. Hard plastic wheels are a cheap yet common alternative.
Aside from sliding over from one place to another, your mobile base has one more job and that is to stay still when needed. The uniqueness of the mobile base is that it can be turned into a movable workstation. To make that workstation stand still you will need lock systems.
Foot operating lock systems are mostly used for mobile bases. Look for sturdy lock systems that offer metal lock pads and make sure the lock can be properly maneuvered with your feet.
This is what makes it better than a fixed base. The adjustability can vary on different products. Having a base with flexible adjustment allows you to use it for different machines when needed and by adjustability we mean the ability to increase or decrease the length and width of the base.
frequently asked questions
Q: How much can an adjustable mobile base carry?
Ans: The weight capacity can vary widely depending on the product. The range can be from 200 pounds to even 1500 pounds
Q: What is the difference between a custom base and a universal base?
Ans: Custom bases are designed with fixed measures. The Universal bases can be extended and retracted to fit various machines.
Q: What are adjustable mobile bases made of?
Ans: The frame is mostly made of either metal or steel. As for the wheels they come in steel or hard plastic.
Q: How long do adjustable mobile bases last?
Ans: If you maintain the weight limit of the base and keep it free from rust, then the bases can last more than 5 years.
We dearly hope you have been benefited by all the information we have put here. Now before we go, we would also like to share with you our favorite pick out of the bunch. We really liked the Shop Fox D4666 Industrial Mobile Base.
For us this base clearly defined the standards of durability and stability. This amazing mobile saw also comes at a very affordable price range.
We did a lot of digging around to bring you the 5 Best Mobile Base for Table Saw and Band Saw and also showed you the pointers you will need to get the perfect one for all your moving needs.